<VV> LM Battery Size

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Wed May 23 02:32:09 EDT 2007

Factory standard battery was group 22F

Factory HD battery was group 24

You might ask--why is one "F" and not the other? That has to do with two
things: 1) The Corvair benefits from having the posts on the inside--makes
the cables shorter--and that requires an "F" style given the mounting
orientation and 2) The HD battery was the same across all of the Chevy
products (I have verified this) so one size fit all (sort of).

So, yes, for the HD battery, a longer ground cable is used, to reach the
post that is now further away. Very few cars had the HD battery option
originally but the longer cables are easy to get from the vendors--either as
an exact repro or as a modern cable (no spring-ring ends). Also, in early
1965 only, there were separate standard and HD positive cables. After that,
the positive cable was lengthened a little (Must have been a little short
even for the standard battery) and one positive cable was used for both +
and -. (It was lengthened again a little in 1967.)

--Kent