<VV> seat belt/harness crossover

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Wed May 23 10:25:00 EDT 2007

<perhaps, [the crossover] might
make sense for '62 and earlier Corvairs that did not have safety door
latches
because this set up would appear to be more likely to limit  lateral movement
of
a belted driver/passenger out the door if it popped  open during impact.  But
that's just speculation on my  part.

~Bill Stanley

Bill - I think it is to perform better restraint in the fore/aft movement.
If the belt is anchored around behind you, it is reaching you in a
semi-circle,
wrapping around some of the seat, when it stops and you go forward, the semi
circle would try to straighten out, perhaps compressing the seat cushion it
is  wrapping around, and letting you go forward some. It the belt crosses
over
to  the other side, it is already straighter at installation and would be
less  likely to allow forward movement. ***- Seth Emerson>

You may be correct but I guess I was basing my supposition, in part, on the
fact that the instruction card also states that the outboard section of the
belt (the male part) is to thread inboard of the seat  frame.  On a Monza coupe
or convertible that would be the chromed hinge attaching the seat back to the
seat cushion.  Doing so would certainly limit lateral movement out an opened
door but, in your scenario, it seems it would actually enable the compression of
the seat cushion in fore/aft movement of the occupant.

Perhaps we should ask Ralph.  He's the safety expert.

~Bill Stanley