<VV> Seat belt mountings

kwoodke at comcast.net kwoodke at comcast.net
Wed May 23 11:11:03 EDT 2007

Well I don't know what the  intent in crossing the seat belts and widening the "arc" of the belts was, I do understand leverage and it's affect. When securing loads you have to be aware of these forces. Now it appears to me I could illustrate this by making you think of your belt on your vair's engine. If you push sideways in the middle of the belt between the fan and the idler pulleys, the belt gives or stretches. Now try pulling the belt in line, there is little or no give.

When securing a load you want to minimize slack, that is if you are securing a block of concrete you want to secure it as close as possible. A wide angle will allow the block to slide as you won't maximise your downward force. I don't know how to show this without a picture and that won't happen here. Oh and widening the arc of attachment won't hold you in place it would make it worse.

I believe most racing harnesses attach behind in straight lines to the seated individual. I believe this would give the belt the best chance to resist forces when needed. As I said I don't know what they were trying to accomplish, perhaps it was to allow some deacceleration in an impact as the belt stretched ? But I think we have a better understanding of safety 40 some years later.

Just my thoughts and to mention to racers to follow their belt makers recomendations.
Keith Woodke