<VV> 140/4 maximum safe RPM?

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Wed May 23 16:20:09 EDT 2007

Greetings all,

     As many of you know I am reassembling my 140 and hoping to have it back in the car in a few weeks.  The recent posts about exploding flywheels and a discussion I had with the machinist who is doing my heads has me wondering about maximum safe RPM for a Corvair.

     My engine has a  7 year old but very VERY low mile performance rebuild.  This engine has a 280 Isky cam, and is currently getting the heads ported and valve seats done.  The machinist said this engine (with this cam which was installed by the PO) will want to rev to about 7200 which worries me.  I'm 27 years old, and while I won't be racing the car or constantly abusing it you can rest assured I will drive it harder then I should more often then I should.  I don't know what kind of measures were taken to balance the engine when it was built since I never spoke to the PO (I bought the car from a liquidator) but I know the engine was built for autocross and included a 280 cam and forged .60 over pistons (I think the rods are cast) so I hope it is fairly well put together.

     I have no desire to do any more work on this engine, so I will not be balancing it myself..... (I know a bunch of you want to tell me to balance it!)

What would you rev this engine to... assuming you were a few years younger (ggg) and looking for performance!!!  At what RPM does the risk really come into play?

Ray Rodriguez