<VV> Warning on FC front suspension bolts

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 24 13:12:40 EDT 2007

Hi Daniel,

We had that exact thing happen on our Greenbrier about 12 years ago while on
a camping trip.  Ours happened while traveling 65 mph carrying a full load.
It was the passenger front side.  I heard a "bang" and then the front end
dropped a few inches.  It was difficult steering and braking.  As long as I
coasted and didn't try to turn the wheel too much or apply the brake, I
could keep it under control.  I ended up coasting it up an off ramp where I
found a spot to pull it off the road.  All the bolts where grade 8 but were
the original ones.  We had it towed to the nearest town which had a Pep
Boys.  There just happened to be a mechanic on duty who had owned Corvairs
and he took us under his wing.  Within a few hours, he had the two bolts
replaced and we were back on the road.  Cost us something like $26.  Thank
God the one remaining, larger rear bolt held or I might not be here to share
our story with you.  We've hauled many loads of equal or greater weight
since then without the same failure.  Last year upon returning from Lake
Shasta, we broke an differential axle yoke.  Happened two blocks from home!!
That appeared to be a fracture that finally gave way and who knows how long
it had been like that.  Thankfully we were pulling away from a stop light
when that one happened.

We just got back from a camping trip up to the N. California redwoods
carrying +1000 lbs.  Total 1015 mile round trip without incident.  Ran
strong the whole way.  I do tend to keep it around 55 mph now when loaded
for camping though :)

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

Daniel said:

>Today, while driving to work in my 62 Rampside, I heard a metalic sound (a
bolt falling out of place) and one second after
>she pulled suddenly to the right. Fortunately I was on the right lane, at
about 30 mph, as I was next to turn to right and
>had plenty of space to stop, while trying to hold the steering wheel on a
straight line. After stoping, I notice the front
>left wheel twisted with the upper side inboard. At inspecting below the
front end, found that the 2 front bolts of the left >A arm (lower) were
missing. A further inspection revealed that one was broken time ago and the
other one just before the