<VV> New Aquisition

Joe Robbins robbins at monticello.net
Sun May 27 22:51:46 EDT 2007

Cool, good luck with it.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of henry kaczmarek
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2007 6:13 PM
To: virtualvairs
Subject: <VV> New Aquisition

Folks
      Back in 2002 when I first started working at Spruill Chevrolet, one of
the salesmen told me he had a Rampy
that belonged to his father in law, and he was going to fix it up.
He showed me some pics, it's been in a barn for about 25 years.
      A few months ago he said his father in law had passed, and he got the
truck but he didn't want it, and asked me to appraise it for him.
      Mileage in the low 50's according to the odometer, body straight, with
decent white paint job. engine locked but could just be frozen rings, had no
idea.  PG trans, some redneck engineering on the fuel lines underneath, but
a solid truck. Ramp latches work, need some freeing up. I believe it to be a
62.  VIN is 2R12F 111401. I'm guessing a 62 from the St Louis FC assembly
line
Can anyone decode for me?

Anyway, I told him with a fresh engine and trans, it could sell in the 4-5 K
range easy, don't take less than 3 for it.  Listed it here.

He called me a couple of weeks ago, and told me that if it were up to him,
he'd just GIVE it to me, as he knew I've wanted it for a long time, but it
DID belong to his wife's father, and she wanted money for it.

  But of course, when he was ready to sell, as I knew would happen, I didn't
have the bread. Just put some new windows & an attic fan in the house, had
the septic tank pumped, termite treatment, etc etc etc with our tax return
and my wife's bonus money.

   He called me last week, and said--For you, I'll take 1500.00 for it.  I
had 800 stashed away for a paint job on the EUM, and the wheels began to
turn. I really want to do a rotisserie job on the EUM before painting, but I
was just figuring on doing the body work and painting it before anything
starts to go on it.  But I also want a Vair to drive around here.

We worked out a deal on thursday, 800 down and I'll pay him the rest in
monthly installments, with the understanding I get the truck "the hell out
of his yard" ASAP.

It was sitting on 4 rotted out tires in the yard when I got there yesterday.
Got the rims off, and went to my FUTD (Favorite used tire dealer) and got 4
used 14" skins mounted and sealed.
I'll be going back tomorrow and put them back on the truck, and get my
rollback man on the job. Should have it home by next weekend.

It will take some time to go thru the various systems to make it roadworthy,
but I'm going TRUE "Ultra" on this one. If the brakes look good, Clean and
adjust, new MC and hoses, and all the rest can wait. Same same the fuel
system.  Rebuild a PG, check out the Diff and rear axle bearings, anything
that "looks good" will be good enough until the EUM has paint on it. I'll
take the 95HP from the EUM and stick it in the Rampy while I examine just
what the FC engine needs.

Will have pictures tomorrow.

Hank
the property