<VV> No Corvair Mechanical Question - Update Round 3

Garth Stapon corvair2 at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 06:33:06 EDT 2007

Group:

What a project. 3 days and 24 hours later the 98 Chevy Tracker is back together and running. The last time I did a cam belt was on my 82 Plymouth Reliant and that had a free wheeling motor so if I was off one cog, it was no a big deal. It seemed I had many road blocks that slowed things down and I wore out the pavement on route to my local flaps.

I did the alternator, water pump and cam belt. Mr. Suzuki must have been up at night thinking where he could run a rad hose where a guy with large hands would have difficulty getting to it?

The wrenches with a socket style head are also a godsend. The fact that they have a swivel head was also a bonus when in tight quarters. The three hours it took me to remove the old alternator made me buy these.

There was quite a bit of wear on the belt and the tensioner was replaced as well. I hope it lasts 60,000 miles! They did a nice job at the factory on the transmission lines running under the motor to the radiator and it was fairly easy to install a transmission oil cooler. That poor three speed has that motor spinning at 4,000 rpm at 75 mph. Lots of heat to get rid of so I think a transmission cooler was in order.

Next week it is new differential fluids. The fuel filter bracket is a mess and GM no longer sells a replacement. Hose clamps to the rescue. I also need to powder coat the front wheel hubs as GM want $ 365 for new ones - Only $ 7 for gaskets so @ $ 25 to powder coat both they will look new at a fraction of the cost of new ones.

So far it has been synthetic oil & filter, rear shocks, tranny fluid, new tires, new platinum plugs, air filter, front brake pads a fresh brake fluid. It was milkey and I pumped through 40 ounces of fresh brake fluid. They work much better now.

I am sad to say that I missed our Memorial day parade, but I did manage to get down to the war memorial at the foot of my street to cut the lawn in the late afternoon yesterday. Yes Service People and Veterans were in my thoughts yesterday, but I had to get this done while I had favorable weather.

The way I see it every day should be Memorial day and when I meet a Veteran or Service Person I am sure to thank them for their service. The best part is that my 16 year old Son has seen this on many occasions and now he is starting to do this as well.

Nothing that he does makes me prouder.

I have a Gobi gusher oil leak in the Vair (quart every 30 miles) and my wife's Passat needs a cam belt and clutch. Can I take on the challenge of a dohc motor? The $ 1,500 quote that I have from VW says yes. It is going to be a busy summer.

Regards, Garth