<VV> Loose Oil Pickup Fit

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue May 29 08:22:05 EDT 2007

   I'm  not  implying  RTV  is not appropriate for a close tolorance fit.
   Heck,  even  the  factory  uses it for valve cover and oil pan gaskets
   when properly applied and cured. And that "close" tolerance is 1/8" +.
   I'm  sticking  my  neck out on a loose fit, where vibration can loosen
   material  and  hot oil washes against it. Try leaving your valve cover
   bolts  loose and see how long the RTV holds up under vibration and hot
   oil.  The  oil  pick up is held by one bolt if the end is loose in the
   hole  (original poster said it was loose), so vibration is an issue in
   this  case. As I said, if you have to "drive" the pick up in, then RTV
   should not have to hold against vibration.
   Others  have  seen  so many abuses of RTV with slivers in the oil that
   they are leary of using it anywhere in the oil system.
   Frank DuVal
   [1]JVHRoberts at aol.com wrote:

   Red  RTV is high temperature, oil resistant, and will last. What makes
   you  think  hot  oil  will  break  this stuff down? Heck, it's used in
   engines all the time!

   In  a  message  dated  5/28/2007  11:45:41  PM  Eastern Daylight Time,