convertibles, was: <VV> Coupes suck

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue May 29 09:44:23 EDT 2007

Interesting historical note about the nickname "ragtop." You know how it
started? Back in the early 20th century many cars had what we would call
convertable tops. Even sedans often had a center section of soft
material (just look at a Model A, for example). Often this material was
water-resistant cloth, and when it deteriorated, it came apart like so
many rags. Hence those cars needing a new softtop got the nickname
"ragtop."

Personally I feel it's a little bit of a putdown or insult, as my
convertable's top is in pretty good condition. Just my own personal
feelings on it, though - as I use the nickname "droptop."

-Mark