<VV> Shoulder harness for 65 coupe

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Tue May 29 11:50:01 EDT 2007

Brian,

     My son and I recently did this for the 65 coupe that he and I are building as his first car.  It really isn't quite a "stock" shoulder harness though.  We installed some sport seats we got from Jeg's (Summit Racing also has the seats) ---- they'll hold you in place much more than the stock seats, and are high enough to protect your head/neck from whiplash.  We then bolted in some Corbeau harnesses.  The seats had holes up near your shoulders for the harnesses to come through, and the harnesses attach to the "seat belt".  We got the "y-type" harness that now joins the two shoulder belts just behind the top of the front seats.  The "Y belts" have quick release buckles that allow the belts to be released so you can tilt the seats forward and someone can still get into the back seats.  Based on a diagram provided by Corbeau, we attached the rear belt at a slightly down angle and to the outside of the car, to bolts that go through the rear fender wells right beside the rear seat back.  We backed the bolts (half inch, grade 8, as I recall) with several big fender washers.  This may be more work or expense than you wnat to go to, but as I understand the installation of the stock shoulder harness, you have to take down the headliner and weld in a mount point in the roof.

     Good Luck.
                Travis Payne    65 coupe
                  Raleigh, NC