<VV> Corvair / GM question

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue May 29 12:06:08 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/29/2007 8:37:41 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tconnolly at iepfire.com writes:

I was  wondering why Chevy was able to produce the Corvair but no other
divisions got  to badge their own.  I know they have had the Corvette to themselves
till  Caddy recently put out the XLR.  If you look at the GM line over the
past  few decade you see the same basic cars badges and dressed up for the
specific  division brand.

Just a thought...

Tom  Connolly

Taking the more "Global" view of the GM divisions, They really did have
their own "versions". Buick. Olds and Pontiac got their own Compact cars. In
1961, each division got their own model with their own Unique options and
designs. Buick got the first (car) V6 engine from GM. Olds got the Aluminum V8,  then
a turbo and Pontiac got the "sawed-off" 4-cylinder - Half of the 389  V8 -
and the Rope drive to the rear transaxle. Okay, none were as radical as the
Corvair, and they eventually shared many of those "specific" parts, but all were
quite different than the other similar sized cars from either Ford or
Chrysler. Contrast that to 1964-on, when all of the GM "semi-compacts"  turned into
pretty much "lock-step" cars, eventually totally swapping  powertrains and
other parts. - Seth Emerson