<VV> Spyder Turbo/Carb mismatch issue?

Robert Hawley iamrgh at charter.net
Tue May 29 16:32:19 EDT 2007

Howdy All,  I noted recently a discussion about Turbo ID's and using the correct exhaust housing with the EM turbo: the gist of which was that if you have 1965-66 housing, your EM (small) turbo will probably produce little if any boost.  After having the exhaust housing and exhaust pipe on my 1963 Spyder replaced with a donut style to better seal to the turbo exhaust outlet, I began to have lack of boost issues. A compromise resulted when my original YH carb (Main body # 0-1580) was replaced by a LM YH as Ken Hand couldn't get the car to run properly and provide boost.

Boost is meager to say the least (2-3 #) and after looking at the exhaust housing on my turbo I realized that it could be the LM style as it starts out at the turbine fan at 2 1/16  inches and flares out to 2 ½ inches where the donut seal area starts.  Does this make it a 1965-66 exhaust housing?.  My Turbo is part #3840830 (1964 turbo).  The YH carb tag part # is 3692S-SA (believed to be the correct tag) which should indicate a main body # 0-1580 (1964 but with a 75-1629 metering rod), but the YH main body number now running on the car is #0-1750 (1965).

Something has obvious been changed along the way and I am wondering if the possible mismatch of components is causing the boost problem?  The exhaust is tight and was fully repaired and sealed last year by Ken Hand and the car has less than 26K original miles so compression is excellent.  The car starts (and restarts) from cold or hot without fail and runs smoothly, but has little boost.

Is there a unique 1964 only style of turbo exhaust housing that has a small opening like the 1962-63 turbo housing and incorporates the donut (instead of flat) style seal? Is anybody willing to trade components or suggest the right combo to make things work?  (The current exhaust housing and exhaust down pipe are both Jet Hot coated in chrome and in excellent condition) Any enlightenment/ recommendations will be appreciated - perplexed in Kalamazoo.  Bob Hawley