<VV> WAS: SMOKIN LOADSIDE... Thanks, i'm still workin...

bs upnorth1 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:23:53 EDT 2007

Thanks to all those who offered  constructive help and humor. I have learned so much reading thru the archives...

First off, here's some photos, of the truck when I found it, of the current engine and of myself.
[IMG]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x288/wayupnorthwisconsin/loadside-in-wi.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x288/wayupnorthwisconsin/truckmom-scott-me017.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x288/wayupnorthwisconsin/corvair-engine.jpg[/IMG]

Secondly...

I cant figgure out where the PCV valve is supposed to go, or what is the correct number. Common sense tells me that the tube just to the right  of the blower on the back 1/2 of the shroud is where it should go, but I cannot find one that fits.... the two I have used are just a smidge too big to get into the tube....

Thirdly, I think that MOST OF THE SMOKE   was caused when the new oil filter blew out 1 inch of its outer gasket. Don't know if It's because it was a fram of if I just tightened it too much. {very probable}. I found that when I dumped another pint on the garage floor at startup...

My first Vair was a 65 monza, I used to work on it too, but that was 38 years ago... I had forgotten why I started drinkin as a kid. :}  Now I have learned to resist those temptations {sounding appropriately chaplainry -- ya right}  I even remembered a few old words but tried not to repeat them.  I took the shroud off, not believing that the carbs really had to come off also. As well as the alternator, the T on the fuel line, the oil cap and a few other goodies. Cleaned out a couple decades of oil buildup, wiped it down and put her back together. Cleaned the jets on the carbs as well.

Finally got it to start, the only casualty i know of is the set screw for the choke cable. Have to get it tapped to hold again.

So far I think the engine has been rebuilt, there was a light blue dye or paint on engine parts under the shroud, cant think why the factory would have done that, or even if it would survive that long. I did find a number, but cant remember where it is right now....

Thanks again for all the encouragement and help!!! it is most appreciated...

Chaplain Bob