<VV> How to Quiet Down My Spyder

Tamias Metis korvayrouille66 at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 22:09:23 EDT 2007

Porsches are usually a bit louder than Volkswagens.  Some Porsche nuts like the muscle car nuts like to alter their exhaust note so that it growls more.  I'm sure someone that is an expert  on  such things will reply  but  I don't find that Corvairs are loud.  Perhaps your car has the louder turbo mufflers,  I think both Underground and Clarks carry the best of these in terms of the least harsh sound (minimizing or muffling).   Certainly Lon  at Underground or Clarks will tell you exactly which are best.  My guess is its something that simple.  If its too loud, you're too old was what we'd say when I played in rock bands decades ago,  maybe its hearing loss but Vairs'  unit construction  is fairly rattle/squeek free as compared some old cars.  You aren't going to get Lexus' quietness short of recovering everything in plush corrinthian leather  and wearing Bose headphones.  I'm no expert but I'd say check the muffler.   Obviously, you are too young to have ever ridden in a
 Beetle.  Those aren't quiet but not  obnoxiously loud.  Corvairs are typically much quieter.   Certain wheel and tires can be noisier but I doubt thats your problem.  I would  NOT  coat the transaxle with  any sound deadining material as you do not want to cause the temperature in the trans to  rise .  Aftermarket,  non Corvair vendor supplied muffler(s)  and non stock mounting might be the cause.   The GM engineering staff spent time on stuff like the mufflers and noise when in hindsight they would have been better served concentrating on more serious issues  like cooling, oil leakeage and carburetion, etc...   but in  reality the  buying public then wouldn't have likely accepted  anything  unless it was close to the Falcon, Rambler, and Valiant, and Chevy II in interior sound levels .   Most Vairs are quieter than those.     Consider the sounds of a properly running Vair music to your ears,  I'm sure it's certainly better sounding than the ear shattering off key, barely
 in tune stuff we tortured  our   ear drums and audience with back in the day    and  I say that we were  exponentially better than  90% of some of todays' acts.              Tamias  Metis