Fwd: <VV> Re: 68/69 fuel return line/hazard

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu May 31 13:49:54 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/31/2007 9:17:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tonyu at roava.net writes:

> Replaced the rubber fuel hose link behind the engine shrouding.   It
> had a mouse mouth sized hole gnawed through it, neatly carved like it
> was drilled, only with tooth marks on the rubber around the edges.

If you haven't replaced the rubber connections on the return line (or the
fuel line for that matter) in ten or more years, I'd recommend doing so at your
earliest convenience.  I tanked up one of my '68s and drove less than two miles
smelling gas.  Pulled over and found the hose connection at the tank filler
neck had failed and the pump had emptied half the tank through the broken hose
connection.  Glad there wasn't any spark.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Kensington MD