<VV> No Corvair - Materials in Formula 1

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Sun Nov 4 08:25:26 EST 2007

Its all about weight!

Kind of like the fact my my Vair is approximately 700 pounds lighter than my
2007 Corporate Tortoise (Ford Taurus).

Government mandated "crashability" requires strength which requires
additional metal which increases over-all mass!  A vicious circle that kinda
defines the "Law of Unintended Consequences"!

One reason for BMW looking at composites is why my old 66 500 95 3-speed
with its 2.7 liter air-cooled and 2250 lb curb-weight could run rings around
the Kid's 85 BMW 325i 5-speed with its 2.7 liter water-pumper and whopping
3400 lbs of "road-hugging weight"!  That friggin' Bimmer is a CHUNK!

BTW, my "basic, utilitarian, corporate tortoise" (read that as the Boy in
the Corner got cheap!), is a 2007 Dodge Dakota 4X4 V-6 stripper.  Amazing
how easy it is to abuse a vehicle you hate....not really "abuse"....it just
gets all the "care" it deserves!

John