<VV> cylinder heads for reliability

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 11 22:54:39 EST 2007

Any non-turbo small valve head.  From your choices, I pick the 95HP heads.
I got fed up with the 140 large valve heads years ago in our Greenbrier.
Some like em in the payload vehicles, I don't.  Only give you the extra HP
at the top end w/less torque at the low end.  After repeated dropped seats,
I was done.  All Corvair heads can and do drop seats, some just have more of
a propensity for it like the 140 heads.  There was a time when I would
flinch everytime I started up the engine when it was cold.  Not anymore.
Went with small valve heads and never looked back.  One thing that does
help...On a warm day after a cruise, let the engine idle for a bit before
shutting it down.  Also, on any head you don't know the history of....have
all the seats replaced when you have a valve job done by shop familar with
aircooled engines.  That way, there are usually no surprises.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

>A question for the crowd: Which cylinder heads should be used for the most
reliability? I just lost an intake valve >seat on my 1963 Rampside 140HP PG.
These heads were VERY deflashed.