<VV> dumb things i've done

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Mon Nov 19 09:15:55 EST 2007

Been there, done that but,
Not with a Corvair.
Back in my just out of high school days my buddy and I were working at the
local Pontiac dealer as lot boy/gophers. He had a 57 Chevy with a worn out
motor so we undertook a replacement project. We picked up a 283 short block
from the local NAPA store and began the tear down. We used my buddy's garage
which was a garage apartment with his parents living above. We pulled the
engine using a chain fall fastened to the main beam of the apartment and
cracked it doing this! His mom was not thrilled at the prospect of us
pulling her home down but we got the motor out. Since my buddy was not very
savy when it came to mechanical things we gave him the parts cleaning job.
Actually, this was the first time any of us had done anything like this but
being budding gear heads we didn't let that stop us.
We got the motor back in the car and all hooked up. It was my job to set the
distributor and wire it to the plugs. Having never done this I referred to a
Motors Manual at the dealership and much to our surprise that sucker fired
right up! It didn't run too well as we did not know how to adjust the valves
or carb. When we tride to back it out of the garage it barely moved and
squeeled loudly. We had no idea what was wrong but it was Saturday morning
and the dealership was open so we drove the two blocks to the shop very
slowly. As soon as we pulled in the lead mechanic grinned from ear to ear
and said; you installed the clutch disc backwards! We never knew there was a
front and rear to the disc but we dropped the three speed tranny and sure
enough we did exactly that.
I always remembered that lesson and have never repeated it on any car that I
fixed clutch problems, especially Corvairs.
During this episode my buddy who was cleaning parts had also completely
disassembled every one of the hydraulic lifters and was sloshing them around
in a can of Varsol! I don't remember how we got them back together but we
took that old Chevy to the local drag strip and it made many runs without a
hint of trouble except when we broke the shift lever off the Dragfast
conversion kit we installed. You should have seen the hole we cut for that!
Also burned up his dads electric drill doing it!
Ahh...the good old days!

Rick Norris