<VV> Downshift Timing Valve

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Nov 19 10:11:39 EST 2007

Smitty Says:  Maybe I am being hard headed about this, but I really do have a desire to get this right.  "Refresher for those who care".  GM added said valve in 63 to PG transmissions and was first referenced in the 64 shop manual in a brief statement with a lousy picture.  There is no publication, picture, or written statement from GM that describes which way the little cylindrical valve goes in the hole in the valve body.  Bob Ballew picked up on that fact and and wrote a good description of the valve function but still did not say which way the valve goes in the hole.  He did challenge a tech tip by Bob Kirkman on the subject.  When you look at his drawing in his book it shows the flat end inserted into the transmission and the pointy end facing the valve body.  I think a lot of the problem I and others have is arriving at a common understanding of which way is"up".  Is "up facing the mechanic when he is working on the transmission or is "up" in relation to the operating
 position of the transmission.  This whole thing has no value until someone opens a transmission and the thing pops out on the table and the mechanic says, where the H did that come from and how does it go when I put it back?