<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 34, Issue 55

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Nov 20 08:15:41 EST 2007

Better than a use specific gage, buy a 12" dial or digital caliper like:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47261

This can be used for many measuring jobs around the car, not just brake
shoe clearance.

But, most times the clearance is set by eye. Just expand the shoes until
the drum just slides on, then adjust per alternate method on same page
(5-6).

Is the movement in the wheel bearings or suspension? If just the
drum/hub moves, it is bearings. Inspect, lube and adjust per procedure
page 3-2.

If suspension, ball joints, replace as necessary. This would be the not
good scenario.

Frank DuVal