<VV> 66 Monza Electrical question

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Nov 25 09:55:50 EST 2007

The charging system on a late model Corvair is simple compared to the
new cars with computer controlled alternators. The stock system has two
parts, the alternator and the voltage regulator. To test easily you need
a digital voltmeter (DVM) or a volt-ohm-meter with a scale that you can
read the difference between 12.6 volts and 13.5 volts. Even a $5 Harbor
Freight  DVM will work here.

To "calibrate" the meter, measure the battery voltage (engine off, key
off) of another car that is charging fine. This reading should be 12.6
volts, but does vary a few tenths. Now start the car and measure the
battery voltage while the engine is running. This charging voltage can
be anywhere between 13.5 and 15 volts depending on state of charge of
the battery and other factors not important here. Now you know the two
correct readings on your voltmeter, even if they are not 12.6 and 13.5+.

Now measure the same two readings on the Corvair in question. If the
engine off reading is less than the "control" car, the battery needs
charging. If the car does start, and the engine running reading is less
than 13.5 volts (as shown on the "control" car), take a jumper wire and
touch the F terminal of the alternator to the + terminal of the battery.
The voltmeter should now read 13.5 + volts if the alternator is good and
the voltage regulator is bad. If the reading is still low, the
alternator is bad.

As a previous poster said, a lot of FLAPS will do this test for free.
That is even cheaper than a $5 meter. And faster if mail order is involved.

Frank DuVal