<VV> oily radios

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 2 13:59:18 EDT 2007

FrankDV wrote:

>... the coil is the L of an LC circuit. Otherwise we would have a CC circuit ...

Okay, I did ask for corrections, and Corvairily and technically, Frank
is correct, and under the idea of being careful of how we state things,
I was not,  easily demonstrating why we need to be careful about how we
say what we post  -- VV is such a great place for finding your humility
<grin>

Although the automotive ignition coil is is a simple device
mechanically, it is not so simple electrically.  Is it a capacitor /
condenser?  Is it an inductive choke? A reluctor?  Is it a DC flyback or
a step-up transformer?   The answer is, in the most general of terms,
"Yes, all of the above."  But, if you don't think of it as a  storage
capacitor, let me 'hook you up' with an introduction to the Ford Model A
coil  <he  he>  Frank should remember these -- a truly 'shocking'
Halloween experience [prank] back from the days of outhouses.

If anyone is interested, a good introductory technical explanation of
the stock automotive ignition system in your Corvair can be found here,
completely illustrated --
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/ignition.html

On another tach <te he>, the mechanical tach in the 356 (non-Corvair)
fortunately does not lie above the radio. The tach drives off the oil
pump, and if the seal goes bad it doesn't take long to fill the tach
with engine oil (about 100 miles, actually) -- takes a lot longer to
drain back out ...

Bill Strickland