<VV> Oil... Put the ZDDP Back In

Richard Widman richard at widman.biz
Wed Oct 3 08:24:45 EDT 2007

Look for the CI-4 or CI-4+ (not CJ-4) API certification on the oil.
Preferably group II or synthetic.  That will give you the highest with a
tested and certified combination.  You also need the ZDDP for ring/cylinder
wear.  I am leery of mixing additives, as most will also vary the viscosity
and change the chemistry where there is a fight for polarity.  An unbalanced
package can leave a dirtier engine, with deposits on the piston crowns
(pinging) and in the grooves (sticking).

Obviously in the 60's the levels were lower than this, but we accepted
shorter engine life as "normal".

Industrial Oils Unlimited in Tulsa and Shreveport make one (exported to me
as American Supreme), but may only sell it in pails and drums.  That I don't
know.  I package it in gallons and quarts here in Bolivia.

Richard Widman

 <http://www.widman.biz> www.widman.biz