<VV> LM Accelerator Pedal

Chris Mann cfmann at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 16:58:02 EDT 2007

Hi guys:

I am rehabbing the accelerator pedal linkage from the pedal back to the carbs, and have several questions:

1.The pedal base is quite rusted and I removed the two bolts mounted to the chassis. In doing so the bolt on the floor seemed to strip as I loosened it (even after a couple of days in PB Blaster). But soon realized that I was able to use a vise grips to hold the nut from the tunnel below and continue to loosen it. Is that nut to be welded to the underbelly of the pan or was it really OK to fall to the ground? Now I was attempting to remove the pedal base from the rod but was having difficulty. I noticed maybe a nut right at the base of the pedal but its so corroded that I cannot even distinguish it really. I know there should be some nylon bushings here, and my goal was to a.) remove corrosion and b) replace bushings. Should I try to use a hammer, or is there a more intelligent procedure?

2. As I follow the linkage to the rear of the tunnel, there is a pivot arm that is supported by a vertical bolt that is hung into sheet-metal pan below the rear seat. Of course, the hole seems bigger than it should due to corrosion (maybe). If I used an over-sized washer (for the immediate future) will that suffice for support? Or can a whole new pivot assembly be purchased?

3. I am in the engine bay now and the accelerator rod is disconnected from the carb linkage. I did the easy part, by popping the rubber boot back into its proper place on the shroud. I see where the spring hooks into the chassis on that little arm, but am not sure where it goes on the carb linkage. I researched all my books and cannot seem to come up with any real good illustration of the proper setup. Where does the spring attach to?

4. The accelerator rod that is referenced in #3 was disconnected, I see a threaded end with an adjustable coupler and the little "ear" on it obviously does into the arm of the car linkage. I don't have a washer to keep it on. Is this an "e-ring" and if so, what size? there is a hole in ear, so maybe it supposed to be a a cotter key? Or a clevis pin? Again without any good illustrations of this I am flying blind.

5. Miscellaneous observation: There was a piece of felt wrapped around the accelerator rod just as it enters the tunnel at the front. Should I leave that or was it another "band-aid" I should remove? I noticed a similar feature at the end of the tunnel but instead wrapped around the brake/gas lines.

chris
69 monza 140/4