<VV> Tricky cylinder head nut tool

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Oct 7 21:32:56 EDT 2007

Following some posts on VV about the super two in one cylinder head
nut tool that Snap On and Mac (and maybe others) made for Corvairs, I
recalled there was a description in the CORSA Tech Guide for making
your own. Since I have several engine projects in the works, and one
just ready to torque a head on, I decided to make one up. I've also
read a few other tips regarding sockets to use on the head nuts, so I
combined all of the info I had together.

Basically, the tool is two sockets that can nest inside one another,
with a 3" piece of 3/8" square stock and a spring joining them. That
way driving one turns both, and the spring automatically extends the
inner socket for you. For the sockets, I used a 14mm, which gives a
snug fit on the top 9/16" nuts, and a 13/16" spark plug socket for
the rocker studs. On the 13/16 socket, I filed the chamfer off since
the hex on the rocker stud is so short.

Once assembled, I taped a 7/8" socket on the drive hex at the end of
the spark plug socket to drive the whole shebang. There's just enough
room under the intake for the tool to fit, and with the tight 14mm
socket it helped to spray the outside of the upper nuts with WD-40 so
the socket would slip on with the light spring pressure (a stiff
spring would make the tool tough to use).

I torqued a head with it today on the car, and the result was good,
although maybe not worth the time if you're only building one engine.
Since I have a couple engine projects lined up, I think it was well
worth the investment.

I have this post as a blog entry with photos, if you'd like to see
how it goes together:

http://autoxer.blogspot.com/2007/10/tricky-cylinder-head-nut-tool.html

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa