<VV> Front Suspension Rebuild

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sat Oct 13 13:47:03 EDT 2007

Folks
I've not commented in a long time, I'm doing some political blogging in
addtion to my Marine Corps League Commandant duties, which keeps my life in
a constant blur.

In addition, I've not read any of the posts on this thread except for the
one my old and good friend Smitty wrote this morning.

Those of you who know us both know in the past we rarely saw eye to eye.
But even if we weren't friends now, I'd have to come on and say "When the
man's right---HE'S RIGHT".  That was true of Smitty when I met him 18 years
ago, and it's true now.

I've just finished removing the front suspension on my 60 Monza 4 dr as a
part-out.  I used the jack method for keeping tension on the spring for
several reasons.
1. Its the way I read it in (I believe) HTKYCA when I first purchased the
book in 1987.
2. I've seen threaded rod compressors have the rod crack, and in more
instances see the curved pieces that hold the spring give way.
3. For me, using the jack, and lowering the tension slowly, i've never seen
the spring shoot out.
4. I've seen the results in the emergency room when one of those compressors
has broken, regardless of style. That Spring will
a. BREAK YOUR LEG
b. If you have your head down there when it flies out, YOU DON'T WANT TO
KNOW WHAT YOU'LL LOOK LIKE AFTERWARDS.  The power and weight of that spring
will crush your head/face.

Smitty's been working on these cars for (likely) 40 years or more.  When he
says a method is tried and true, and he won't do it another way, my 18 years
of experience with him tells me
1. He's tried it every way there is to try.
2. His method is the course of least resistance.

So, what's all the discussion about?  I defer to the Vairologist.

See ya next week, bud.

Hank