<VV> Ten Dollar Boyne Turn Signal Switch Repair - '67-'69 Cars

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 19:11:00 EDT 2007

                                     B"H

I don't know if I already posted this; memory's fading
as I add more years to my life.

Anyway, I want to remind '67-69 owners who have the
Boyne turn signal switch that a $10.00 turn signal cam
will repair electrical/contact/signal arm locking
problems.  The repair is relatvely simple...

After the steering wheel is removed, remove the screw
holding the turn signal lever to the switch, remove
the lever and pry the metal outward holding the cam
down on the post (gently) and GENTLY pry the  old cam
off the post.  Snip the two wires, leaving as much
wire stock from the turn signal switch, as you can.

Splice the new cam's wires onto the switch wires, and
make the splice as SMALL as you can so the wires will
fit back into the switch/steering column without
interfering with switch action.  Then, press the new
cam onto the post, attach the turn signal arm and
screw.  Tighten so the cam seats all the way back onto
the turn signal switch base.

Then smear a GENEROUS amount of DIELECTRIC grease over
the locking ears of the new cam.  The grease shouldn't
damage the plastic or metal connections, and it will
GREATLY reduce wear and tear on the new plastic ears
of the cam, which happens when you cancel a turn
signal by hand.

The turn signal arm screw will force the cam back onto
its post nice and flat, and, assuming everything else
is in order, your electrical turn signal/brake light
problems should be resolved.

I'd suggest testing turn signal and brake light
functions at this point before you re-attach the
steering wheel.  THe first cam I tried was defective;
the lane change signals didn't work on the right turn,
and the left dash turn indicator also failed when lane
change was used.  THe brake lights worked
intermittently.  Upon examining the cam, it looked
good.  I tried a second cam and it worked perfectly;
even fixed the intermittent brake light problem I was
having.

Here's a link to an Ebay seller who has the cams for
$9.95 plus shipping.  Note that the part number is
SM-15.

Good Luck...Bill Hershkowitz "Susie The Little BLue
Coupe" 69 Monza 110 PG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-68-CORVETTE-CORVAIR-REPRO-TURN-SIGNAL-SWITCH-5698520_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34206QQihZ005QQitemZ150048446322QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V