<VV> Turn Siginal/Horn Controller Issues

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 00:00:44 EDT 2007

Re: 64 Van (uses the same controller as the 65-66 car, G.M. part number:
910821.

Doesn't want to cancel reliably on right hand turn; hear a click, but the
notched canceling cam skips by the C-shaped arm without pushing  the arm back
into the canceled, center position. I'm on my third  complete control
assembly... first was original; second was a  reproduced assembly from a Corvair vendor;
finally got that one canceling  (had to put washers under the cam to space it
downward, and put pieces of small  diameter vacuum tubing in the ends of the
c-arm (GM original had hard foam  rubber in same location, but reproduced had
nothing). Then, while turning  sharply, the center bearing in the control
assembly popped out of position,  grounding the steering box shaft against the
inter horn ring... found where the  horn relay was, quickly. Fine, said enough
reproduced parts, located a  NOS-looking assembly through AC Delco (correct down
to the heavy density foam  rubber in the ends of the C-arm). Just finished
installing that controller...  still does not always cancel on a right hand
turn, and the internal  horn ring--the one whose black wire eventually finds its
way to the horn  relay--seems to be grounded through the shaft centering
bearing and to the  steering box shaft. The result being the horn wants to blow
continuously. Also,  just now, after test driving, seems the centering bearing
developed a lot of  slop while turning into the driveway.

Poor Right Cancel... the cam looks OK; what am I missing?

Continuous Horn... is not the internal horn ring intended to be  electrically
isolated from the centering bearing and race? And why, after making  a sharp
turn, can I now move the steering wheel forward and back and right and  left
much further than 30-minutes previous when I had just installed the new
control assembly.

I changed my first one of these controllers, in another Corvair Van,
30-something years ago, but this one has me stumped. Can anyone answer any  of my
questions and/or offer suggestions.

Thanks,
Mike Mauro