<VV> powerglide

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 23 11:03:10 EDT 2007

Chris,
I just spent this past weekend overhauling my 1963 Rampside Powerglide.I purchased an overhaul kit from Dave Edwards as well as the movie made by Harry Yarnell on rebuilding the PG.
For no apparent reason, I completely lost reverse but forward gears worked well.I found all 3 reverse clutches physically broken. My guess on yours is you have worn parts. Seals not holding pressure and/or worn clutches.
I am undecided on synthetic ATF.Your diff. drain plug is only for your diff.
Now my question for ALL is the manual valve adjustment using tool J-8365. Could this adjustment have contributed to my broken clutches? I had replaced my cable about 1,000 miles before I lost reverse.
Anyone?
Thanks, Tim in Durango, Colorado.