<VV> The first Corvair??

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Tue Oct 23 22:42:05 EDT 2007

My first car was a white 1963 Monza 900 coupe, 102(?)/PG. I found it while
cruising dealer lots with my HS buddies in 1978. I told my Dad about the car
and  he was very supportive. His first new car was a 1960 sedan he bought in
1959. I  spent many hours wrapped in a blanket in the package area of that car
(maybe  that's why I like the Corvair sound so much?). We went to the Chevy
dealer when  they were open to check out the car. When the salesman asked if he
could help  us, I told him I was interested in the Corvair on the back lot. He
denied they  had any Corvairs, but they had one. It needed a battery, some gas,
some air, but  it ran. I paid $200 for the car.

I learned a lot with that car and had tons of fun. We had a course through
the rural roads in the hills near my house that we timed. My buddies had a
Malibu, a Cutlass, a Monte and other V-8 cars. That PG Corvair beat them all on
our course, really pissed my buddies off.

At some time in its life, the car had an unpleasant meeting with a guard
rail. That resulted in the car having a very large amount of Bondo on the
passenger side. Anyhow, the engine developed bad blow by, sending oil out the  dip
stick tube. I 'engineered' a recovery system that involved a milk jug and  some
fuel line. This was the eventual reason I got rid of the car.

Ned