<VV> First Corvair....

Barry Johnson barry.johnson at activant.com
Wed Oct 24 00:06:06 EDT 2007

My first car was a light blue '66 4 speed 500.  It was 1973.  I was just
barely 16 and bought it for $40: broken windshield, rear deck lid
smashed in, floor pans rusted through, but it started and I was able to
drive it 3/4 mile home.  My mother told me $40 was too much and made me
call the seller to undo the deal -- he pointed out that it came with a
full tank of gas!  I didn't argue very hard and kept the car.

My best friend was an avid young mechanic.  He helped me tune up the
engine, replace the windshield, straighten out the rear, and replace the
rear deck with one found at a junkyard -- the color even matched!  My
dad (who seldom touched a tool more complex than a screwdriver) found a
friend to cover the floor pans with tin sheets riveted in place.

I was in heaven for about 6 weeks.  Then a Firebird came up over a hill,
didn't see me waiting to turn left, and rear-ended the car just hard
enough to total it.  I was sure it was fixable, but even my best friend
thought it was time to let it go.

Fast forward 34 years:  I'm finally driving a Corvair again, and once
more I'm in heaven.  It's good to be back.

baj

'64 Monza 'vert
'65 Monza 140 PG (Group Red since 1983; estimated date off stands is
January, 2008)