<VV> RE: Exhaust down tube replacement

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 14:59:08 EDT 2007

<snip>
How difficult is it to remove an exhaust down tube from a head while it is
still on the car? Are there any tricks to make the process easier? My car
has become my driver again, and I have to get the heat going before it gets
too cold...actually, the heater works, but there is a bad exhaust tube on
one side. I've also wondered if I could simply block off that side of the
engine from the heater.
David <unsnip>

David, the exhaust down-tube cannot be removed with the cylinder head in
place.  The tube includes a relief for the lower cylinder head studs and the
relief catches on the tube as it is pulled down.  The cylinder head must be
removed to get the tube out.  I can't think of any reason why you couldn't
block off that side and maintain some heater function.  I worry though that
the other head might be leaking too.  Perhaps you should invest in a CO
monitor until it's all repaired.
Craig Nicol