<VV> My First Corvair

Frank Campbell 64monzaconv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 17:05:53 EDT 2007

This is my first post but I've been reading VV for some time now.  I
love the tips and techniques you all discuss.  It's always
educational.  Now, for my story.

In high school, a classmate had a beautiful 64 Monza convertible.  It
was red with a white top and interior.  That was first time I had
really paid any attention to Corvairs.  For this teenager, it was an
absolute head-turner.  My first thought was his parents must be rich
and in those days, compared to my circumstances, I guess they were.
After graduating in 65 and working full time, I ran across a white 63
2-door sedan with a PG.  It was affordable and beautiful (to me).
After buying it, I thought I was on top of the world.  In January,
1966, after receiving the dreaded "Greetings" letter from Uncle Sam, I
joined the Air Force.  Unfortunately, as a married Airman, I couldn't
afford the $23 a month payments and had to dispose of the car.
Through marriage (41 years), two great kids, taking advantage of the
GI Bill, many jobs and all kinds of cars (five of which were early and
late model Corvairs), I never lost my love for Corvairs.  After going
almost 30 years without owning one, just over a year ago I bought a
"fixer".  It's a 64 Monza convertible and with the help of the great
folks in the Arkansas Corvair Club, I'll gradually get it in good
running condition.  It doesn't look like much now, but one day it
will.  Most of the time it's covered up in the garage but when I walk
by, I just have to smile.  AND my 13 year old grandson has already
decided the car will be his one day.  That makes me smile too...

Thanks for letting me ramble on, 'ppreciate it.

Frank Campbell
White Hall, AR