<VV> '61 rear wheel cylinder removal

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Oct 26 17:21:53 EDT 2007

Yes, the backing plate must be removed from its position. It does NOT need
to be fully removed from the car unless the bolts are rusted in place.

Remove the 4 nuts and washers holding the rear axle bearing to the lower
control arm. Slide the bearing/axle assembly towards you, until the bearing
clears its mounting studs. The backing plate should now be loose enough to
slide towards you and come off the mounting studs. Those west coast people
should be able to remove the two short bolts holding the wheel cylinder
easily at this point. Us east coast people remove the backing plate fully
to drill out the bolts. ggggg

Note, expect axle lube to flow onto the floor when the axle is pulled out
of it.

Frank DuVal