<VV> RE: Exhaust tube replacement: I stand corrected, I guess

Cliff tibbitts at qx.net
Sat Oct 27 10:46:06 EDT 2007

I'd agree with Bob on this, even though as mentioned earlier, I replaced the
"notorious #5" on my 140 with head in tact.

My reasons were: First, the engine is temporary, I hope, and hence did not
want to invest the time and money. Second, as far as I know the heads have
never been touched, and the engine has great compression on all 6. And
finally almost all the cylinder head studs are badly corroded and I am
afraid I would be backing studs out and generally making a huge mess.

The engine was on the bench at the time, standing on the bell housing and
with the rocker studs and push rod tubes out, it was a fairly easy fix and
took less than 15 minutes start to finish, not counting the fact that I put
the replacement tube in the freezer the night before.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington,