<VV> Secondary Carbs

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Oct 29 17:59:13 EST 2007

At 02:32 PM 10/26/2007, Rich Purtell wrote:
>I have a 1966 140 Corsa that has primary carbs all the way around
>(all 4). What do I need to do  in the way of carb mods to use
>primaries in the secondary positions.

Remove the chokes, if they're not already gone, on the carbs used as
secondaries.

By the way, don't worry too much about the accelerator pumps on the
secondaries.   There will be people who will suggest removing those
pumps but I've found that it's not worth the trouble to do it, and
the carbs don't misbehave as-is, pumps intact.    In fact, there are
those amongst us who would suggest running pumps in the secondary
carbs in the first place, helps eliminate that flat spot if the
throttle is nailed at low rpm etc.

In short, you need do little to nothing to run 4 primary carbs on a
140 as long as the chokes on the secondaries are disabled or
removed.   I *would* back off the secondary carbs' idle screws a tad,
just barely cracking the butterflies on the secondaries to keep them
from causing too much influence on idle speed adjustment, which
should be done with the primaries only.   Likewise the mixture
adjustment screws which *should* be adjusted to flow at least a
little fuel-air mixture (still not as much as the primaries) so as to
allow fuel to circulate through the secondary carbs regularly, and
not let gasoline stand in the bowls for weeks at a time, getting
stale... should the car be driven by someone with a soft foot who
never gets into the secondaries.

I never ever had that problem myself...  ;)

tony..