<VV> Re: Anyone using Megasquirt on a Crovair ?

Marty Scarr martyscarr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:01:06 EST 2007

Hi Dan

The relay board is off the the side of the engine compartment, where
it is slightly cooler.  The components on the relay board are minimal,
and not particularly heat sensitive.  There are 3 relays, 4 fuses and
2 capacitors on the board, along with the cable connection and
terminal strips..  GM has put the same relays underhood on their
vehicles for years.  I do have a plastic cover for my relay board, it
is there more for protection against flying fan belts than anything
else.  You can see a picture of the completed relay board here:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mspower/mspowercomplete.jpg

Regarding the turbo installation, I will be using a 2 barrel throttle
body made by GM as used on the 305/350 V8 engines.  It will have an
adapter to mount the throttle body to the turbo, it will be 90 degrees
as compared to the regular orientation.  That means the injectors will
squirt sideways, but they will work just fine.  This installation is
(again) due to the constraint of the rules in my class; no head
modifications allowed.  If/when I move to Prepared class, I can modify
the heads and use port injection.  I will use water injection for
cooling the charge, also controlled by the Megasquirt (rpm vs boost).

Cost for my turbo installation should be just over $400.  Used TBI
pump (low pressure), $20; good used 2 barrel throttle body, $75;
Megasquirt (MSI) and relay board kits, $210 (I build my own); adapter,
fuel lines, filter, wire, comm cable and other misc, $100.  If you
don't have a PC laptop to run Megatune, you can get one on ebay for
less than $50.  Megatune will run on a 386, 200MHz machine.  Sorry, no
Macs, but MegatUnix is available.

I'd be happy to share my configuration file,  but you will probably
have to tweek it.  I think that tuning is one of the funnest parts of
the project - it's great to get your engine running in the sweet spot!

I'll keep you posted.

Marty Scarr