<VV> Update to Choke Pull Offs pulsing on acceleration

David George dgeorge at heritage-consultants.com
Sat Sep 1 11:55:24 EDT 2007

Well, finally got the vacuum gauge on my 65 this morning. I also checked all settings again: timing at 14, dwell at 32.9, carbs balanced according to Unisyn. Upon first starting the car and before the chokes opened, my vacuum reading was a pretty steady 15 at both choke pull off locations on the carbs. After the chokes opened, the needles jumps between 10 and 14 on both choke pull off locations. After a little looking around, I found that the nut holding the left carb down was loose. I was able to turn it about a full turn. The right carb nut was tight. Other than that, all vacuum lines appear good and tight. I even zip tied the vacuum lines at the balance tubes to the carbs and checked the modulator on the tranny. No problems there either.  So, I don't think vacuum leaks are the issue. The idle is still a little rough under load, though better after tightening down the carb. I have not done a compression test yet, as I still need to buy the tester. Recently I replaced the plugs (put in Bosch 7902s) and noted that all looked pretty good except number 5 cylinder, which was a bit wet. So, any guesses as to the ultimate problem? Bad valve(s) at number 5?? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Dave
Newington, CT
65 Vert