<VV> head R&R

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 19:49:18 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/1/2007 4:33:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mhicks130 at cox.net writes:

I'm  going to be replacing one of my heads.  Besides the head, upper head
nuts  and head gaskets, is there anything else I need to (or should) replace
while  I'm at it???  Ooh, I just thought of one, the o-rings under the rocker  nut
thingy.  Anything else???

OBTW, I can't swap a head with the  engine still in the car can I?

Thanks in  advance.

If you have not recently replaced the pushrod tube O-rings - those would be
on the list -Viton, of course. Valve cover gaskets are a likely replacement.
The  exhaust packings are usually non-removable as well, the cross-over
packings may  be needed as well. Also check the two sections of hose connecting the
balance  tube to the tubes in the head at the base of the carbs. They get
hard and often leak. If it is the drivers side head being removed, you may be
removing the oil cooler for clearance. Two seals there. If you remove the top
shroud, there are a couple of additional seals (PCV tube) in the  neighborhood
- excluding the engine top cover, don't remove that one unless you  can see it
leaking, but snug up the bolts. Other folks will likely chime in. -  Seth