<VV> head R&R

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Sep 1 21:48:52 EDT 2007

Yes, you can remove a head on a late model with ease with the engine in
the car. I have done a ring job with the engine still in the car. Why I
do not know! It just seemed quick at the time.....  But R&I just a head
like to repair a dropped seat. Yes, no need to drop engine. FCs have
more trouble doing it. In fact I think it cannot be done. Earlies are
almost as easy as lates. Some heads will require removal of the carb
studs. Turbo heads do not have this extra step.

How about the other 12 o-rings, the ones on the push rod tubes?

Many other parts may be needed, depends on their condition when removed,
like exhaust crossover seal. If the repacement head does not have the ex
manifold installed, you will need those three seals. Carb insulator OK?
Do you use paper gaskets with the insulator?

Of course I have to ask if the head needing replacement is between your
shoulders! ggggg

Frank DuVal