<VV> lead additive

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Sep 4 11:22:01 EDT 2007

Actually, while that may be true for certain understressed American
V8's, it's not a valid blanket statement. Some cars exhibit quick and
severe valve seat recession (a late model UK car I had even announcing
in the owners manual in huge red letters "Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should
this vehicle EVER be operated on unleaded petrol".)

The engine in many street LBC's is stressed to a level found only in
racing versions of many American engines. A big block in the same state
of tune as the nearly stock 1275 Mini would be putting out about 550
(net) hp... or well over 600 in the old gross terms.

I have a big lazy Olds 455 convertible which "needs" leaded fuel but
which I don't lose any sleep over operating it on high octane unleaded.
On the other hand, my Mini (with a slightly warmed up  A+-series) gets
the real stuff... the fact that it gets about 4 times the mileage of the
Olds makes this a less painful practice.

I have run leaded fuel in my race Corvair, but only because that was the
only local way I had to get enough octane. In Corvairs, lead is a bad
thing (except for the octane) and should be avoided if at all possible.

Bill