<VV> Cool oil pan stuff..

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Sep 6 12:46:39 EDT 2007

At 06:42 PM 9/5/2007, Cash Case wrote:
>Well, My Labor Day weekend was good- I didn't get the clutch and
>flywheel in, but I did get the lifters and push rods in. And in the
>process I found the COOLEST stuff in the 40 years of sludge at the
>bottom of the oil pan. Some of them I have no idea what they are. Two
>pieces look like broken rings. I wonder if these pieces are from an
>earlier grenading because the cylinder look clean, at least from the
>exhaust tubes. They are not oily or carboned up. They are actually
>very clean and the engine seems to run well.
>If the rings were broken, wouldn't that cylinder be oil fouled and
>wouldn't it show in the exhaust tube for that cylinder?

The debris must be from a previous life for that engine.   I'd be
perplexed as to how pieces of a broken ring could have found their
way into the pan in an engine that was still able to run without
horrendous noises, seeing as how the piston would have to come apart
in order to shed chunks of ring.

Someone evidently performed a "top half" overhaul and replaced
pistons/cylinders or similar somewhere along the way and didn't pull
the sump pan in the process.

tony..