<VV> bad press could be good

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 7 19:15:59 EDT 2007

OK, here is my take (and last words) on that article.

It seems to have been at least partially instigated by the prior Hagerty
and/or Business Week articles, but this time they did not refer to all the
cars as ugly.  Instead, they referred to them as "Tagged" and then put them
into several categories.  I understood the use of the word tagged to mean
that they were referring to the perception of these cars in the eyes of the
general public.  There was a short blurb on each and they were not trying to
write the entire history of every vehicle mentioned as it unfolded 30, 40,
50+ years ago.

Categories used in the article are Nerdy, Unreliable, Dangerous, Ugly,
Boring, and Pathetic.  They did NOT put Corvair in the Ugly category (like
BW), but in the Dangerous category (along with Pinto).  Keep in mind that
they are talking about what they feel (or Mr. Hagerty feels) is the public
perception of those cars.  Concerning the Corvair, for the "unbaptized -
never been in one", they are probably right saying that it was tagged as
dangerous.  Don't we hear comments that Nader had them outlawed?

So, put things in the article in perspective and don't be looking at
portions of sentences in order to take things out of context since that just
leads to another subjective point of view.

It is all opinion (including this email) and not fact.  Get over it.  Oh,
keep in mind that it helps to keep the cost of the Corvair hobby down.
<GRIN>

Later, JR

CCE CORVANANTICS CORSA member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater 500 Coupe "icemobile" 4/140 (50%)