<VV> The New Corvair

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 8 10:48:58 EDT 2007

Can't say that there wouldn't be a way of knowing what the Corvair would
look like now, because all you have to do is look at the Camaro. Yes, the
'67 Camaro was supposed to be the third generation Corvair. We got that
from the "horse's mouth" at this year's convention.

Also, another car in addition to the 911 that you can look at is the
Mustang. With the current car (as well as the 911) it proves what a classic
shape certain cars have, and that some designs never go out of style. Style
sells, always has, always will.

If you note, what has kept the Mustang in production, despite being in a
volatile segment, is that Ford for the most part has kept it true to its
successful formula. This is also why the Camaro (last generation) was
pulled, and why GM is seeking to build the new one in the original's image.

So in reality, the next generation "Camaro" is REALLY what the Corvair
would look like had it been kept in production. This despite the first and
second generation being rear-engine, air-cooled, sad to say.

BTW, for all those who like the LM Corvair 2-door's thin "C" pillars, note
that even the '67 Camaro (as well as the upcoming new one) has thicker "C"
pillars, ala LM 4door hardtops. Just helps to prove the LM 4door's design
is total styling perfection.

-Mark