<VV> The New Corvair

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 07:07:02 EDT 2007

The engine, for one, is unshared with any other car. There is NO spreading
of development costs. Also, that all aluminum engine costs more to build, with
all its extra pieces, than a water pumper. Just the fact it takes SO much
more  time to assemble a Corvair engine than a water pumper should tell you
something!

In a message dated 9/10/2007 6:29:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kenpepke at juno.com writes:

JVHRoberts said [in part]:

>If GM stuck to the rear engine  formula, (tough to do given the relatively
>high production costs  of the Corvair),

I have heard that claim for many years and always  wondered about it ... I
mean,
'high production costs' compared to  what??  The vast majority of cars built
today
feature  'Unistrut' bodies with the complete power package on one end of  the
car.
Does which end of the car make a dramatic difference in  the 'production
costs?'

Does this make sense to  anyone?

Ken Pepke