<VV> The New Corvair

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 16:21:35 EDT 2007

I seem to recall that at one time a GM source denied the "high cost" notion
as being a popular myth, and that GM did indeed make money on the Corvair.
They also came close to carrying over the Corvair name when they introduced
their version of the Mustang, but that Ralphie's book made that impossible,
at least at the time. They later resurected the Monza name in the US and
even the Corsa name (which they still use) in Europe and Brazil. I wouldn't
be sure about the viability of the Corvair name domestically, though. But
at this point, whatever they would put it on wouldn't/couldn't bear any
resemblance with our air-cooled rear-engine cars, anyway. So the issue is
really moot.

-Mark

margin on the original Corvairs was that Chevrolet was not able to
distribute the cost across other models within its division. That is, the
Corvette could share a gear box with a truck, and everyone used a version
of the?small block?engine. The Corvair did not share any of its major
engine/drive line parts with any other car. (Certainly some transmission
parts were shared, but not much else.) In addition, Chevrolet was unable to
get other divisions interested in models based on the Corvair drive line.

> The situation is a bit different now. General motors (or its
subsidiaries) make mostly front wheel drive passenger cars, in which the
engine and drive line are a single unit. It might be possible to use such a
unit as the base for a "rear" engine compact (I think that it might be more
mid engine) and build a nice series of two door and four door hard tops.

> I think, however, that even if Chevrolet built such a car, they would not
call it a Corvair. I am of the opinion that the name would be a limiting
factor. I still run into people that think the Corvair was the worst car
ever built. One woman that I work with tells continually that "everyone"
knows the cars overheated badly all of the time. So, to name a new model
the "Corvair" could be inviting nothing but ridicule, regardless of how
well built the car might be.