<VV> Turbo 350 in a Vair? Corvair Application

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Sep 13 06:32:04 EDT 2007

>Seth said:  Just a quick thought. The problem on conversion of another automatic
>transmission into the Vair is the torque converter. The Corvair PG - separated  the
>torque converter from the trans with the differential in between. That would
>be hard to adapt in another trans (Not that the factory couldn't do it, just
>not  you or I.) Maybe the trick set-up would be a manual clutch controlled
>three-speed. With an homage to the drag-racing "Clutchflites" - How about a
>"ClutchTurbo350" with a three-speed automatic in place of the PG - Add  paddle

How about just not bothering with a torque converter?  For years my partner and I
raced a 427 stroked to 467 internally balanced Chevy BB mated to a PG with no
torque converter.  We used a valve, actuated by a fake 'clutch' pedal, to divert pump
pressure back to the pan.  Let the pedal up and the pressure went to low band and
the car drove away.  We used a BB flex plate for the starter ring gear but, there was
no flywheel.  The snap acceleration of that engine was amazing.

The 'clutch' pedal felt very light as it only used a pedal return spring to keep it up so
everyone that drove the car said the 'clutch' was too light but were amazed that it
did not slip behind the BB super power.  We lent this car to other racers many times
and I don't think that anyone ever guessed they were driving a PG :-)
Ken Pepke