<VV> Head milling, was: PG Turbos??

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Sep 13 11:56:35 EDT 2007

At 03:46 AM 9/13/2007, kenpepke at juno.com wrote:

>Setting the idle speed down will generally stop or at least reduce
>this problem.
>If worst comes to worst a person could install an idle motor in the
>linkage mechanism
>to close the throttle completely when the ignition is switched off.

The musclecar crowd running engines with radical camshafts and high
idle speeds had all sorts of issues with dieseling and backrunning,
so lots of them would either shut off in gear (with an auto) or drop
the clutch (same thing).

The smart guys would go junkyarding and find an idle shutoff solenoid
off a smogger car which allowed setting an idle adjust that would
keep the radical cam'ed engine running with a high idle speed
(sometimes as much as around 1200 rpm or more), and still make it
stop when shut down by closing the throttle completely when the
ignition switch was off.    Worked like a champ.

Pretty much required hardware if you were a nitwit, with a 426 engine
w/big cam, who would cheat and try to run the thing on regular gas
while puttering around cruising the burger joints.   I could turn the
switch off when it was hot and, depending on how cheap the gas was,
the damned thing would diesel for 30 seconds or more knocking and
clattering like an old Mercedes truck if I didn't dump the clutch in
gear to make it stop.

I bet if someone went looking they could still find a couple of these
old idle shutoff solenoids in a junkyard somewhere.   Or,
cross-reference some parts lists and see if somebody still makes them
these days.   Obviously for a 'Vair you'd need two...  along with a
bit of fabrication to mount them.   But it would stop the dieseling.

Now:   It's likely easier to eliminate the cause of dieseling rather
than go to these lengths, isn't it...?    ;)

tony..