<VV> Loadside clutch AGAIN!!!!

Corvkid50 at aol.com Corvkid50 at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 17:27:00 EDT 2007

I'm working on Chaplin Bob's loadside for him. Here's the deal. We  have an
early diff, late engine, late flywheel, late Pressure plate, late throw  out
bearing. I put the clutch that was in it back in and am quite sure it's a  late.
The problem we are having is it don't seem to be releasing enough to get  in
gear. It will go in first, but not easy, but not reverse without  grinding. It
will go if you shut the engine off and do it that way. I tried to  adjust the
clutch and I have it so it's so tight the pin will barely go in on  the
swivel. Hardly any free play on the pedal at all. I'm sure the throw out  bearing
is on the fingers with the clutch pedal out. The pin in the shift  connecter is
good and the holes don't look to be oval. I'm lost here and  wondered if
anyone has any ideas. Could the wrong clutch be a possibility? Too  thick maybe?
I'm grasping for answers here. I checked the clutch cable and I get  movement
down below as soon as he presses in the clutch. It just seems there  isn't
enough throw. I followed Clarks book Page 108 as far as the early -late  clutch
combo but that's not really clear. They list one pivot ball for all years  but
the book lists 2 sizes, one early and one late.
Can anyone give me some ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Ron T
Having loadside nightmares