RE <VV> Loadside clutch AGAIN!!!!

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 13 22:51:23 EDT 2007

Hi Ron,

FC's have are real touchy when it comes to adjusting the clutch.  Any play
at all in the system from wear and you'll have clutch release problems,
premature throwout bearing wear etc.  Even the clutch cable housing liner
wear can be an issue.  I fought mine for years and tried a number of things
before new cables were available like creating a lever that multiplied the
cable action back at the clutch.  All that did was wear the cable out due to
the increased loading.  I also tried the trick of flipping the rubber bumper
over that is under the floor board up front so the pedal comes up a little
farther.  Didn't work either.

Finally what did it for me was to lengthen the pedal shaft.  I sawed the
pedal pad off, welded in a short extension between 3/4 and 1" and welded the
pad back on.  The pedal now sits a little higher in relation to the clutch
pedal but now I can actually have some play in the system and still have it
fully release and engage.  That was over 10 years ago now and no more
problems.  Clutch is now very easy to adjust and it was a cheap fix.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!